Wednesday, July 2, 2008

coral getting it on?


So I checked with one of the recommended dive shops in Maui (Mike Severns Diving) about their dives, and in their response they invited us to join them on a special early morning dive to potentially see coral spawning. Yep. You heard that right. Coral spawning.

Am I supposed to jump up and down about this? I mean, it sounds interesting, but not exactly riveting. After looking it up online, I found out that people actually plan vacations around this phenomenon! The date is carefully calculated and divers go out hoping to see the coral spawn. It seems this consists of the coral letting off millions of little bundles of eggs and sperm until it looks like they are smoking.

I'm torn. This is like going out with a bunch of bird watchers in hopes of spotting a rare breed of finch. Like I said--interesting, but not riveting.

On the other hand, if this is something that people wait all year to see, and I just happen to be there at the right time, why not? I mean, who doesn't want to swim around in coral sperm? Hmmmm.

No comments: