Friday, June 27, 2008

vegetable jackpot

Today I hit the vegetable jackpot. A spot opened up on the CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) of Two Small Farms (a farm in Watsonville and a farm in Hollister). I was a member of another CSA, but I was really waiting for a spot to open with this farm, because it's much closer and where I grew up.

Tonight I picked up my first box of vegetables. Jackpot! No offense to the other farm (my last pickup was two weeks ago and maybe their crops weren't at their peak yet), but this farm's stuff is amazing!

Here is a picture of my produce and flowers in this week's delivery.

Mei Quin Choy, Bianco Di Maggio Onions, Baby Erbette Chard, Mint, Beets, Cabbage, and um, two mystery items. They are literally called "Mystery" in the newsletter, which means whatever happens to be ripe that morning. Unfortunately, I know nothing about veggies, so they are still mystery vegetables to me.

Looks like I'm going to have to eat a lot of veggies this week!

3 comments:

Camelia Bradshaw said...

Hay Molly,
Long time no see. I was glad to come across your blog. You are so much fun to read. It is great looking at things through your eyes.

Anyways, I like your veggies a lot. I have this recipe for a gret side dish with Bok Choy which I think is pretty close to one of your veggies. You can make it as spicy or mild as you want. If you don't have an outside grill, grill pan works great. I grill things on the stove all the time and sometimes it turns out better than outside grill.

Grilled Bok Choy With Spicy Vinegarette
(adapted from Food Network)

1 or 2 heads of baby bok choy
1 tbsp chili sauce
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
salt and pepper
1/4 cup vegetable oil (I used canola)
2 or 3 green onions, chopped
sesame seeds (optional)

Mix chili sauce, vinegar, salt, pepper, and green onions. Whisk in oil and then toss with bok choy. Grill on a super hot grill for about 3 minutes on each side. Serve with any leftover vinegarette if desired.

Molly said...

Thanks, Camelia! I hope you guys are doing well! We miss you!

Thank you for the recipe. It looks great! I will definitely make it this week.

Sally Teeple said...

You could put up pictures of the mystery veggies and let your readers try to help guess what they are!