Thursday, June 12, 2008

rent

Oh my gosh! We just signed a 2-year lease and I am ecstatic! Normally I wouldn't be so excited about a 2-year lease because it kind of ties you down. But we made a commitment last year by having Richard move in with us. He wasn't exactly stoked about leaving his high school and starting all over again living with us, so we made a decision that we wouldn't move him again. It was all or nothing. We were lucky enough to find a great place at a (very) affordable price and were quite worried about our rent skyrocketing after a year. Our lease was going to be up next month, so we went to the manager and asked for another year. Turns out rent wasn't going up very much, so we went out on a limb and asked for 2. And they said yes!

I am a firm believer in being nice. If you're nice to people, they're nice to you. We're nice to our manager. And now we have to be extra nice.

But something hit me even stronger than the golden rule. Everyone keeps telling us that we are going to be blessed for bringing Dianna and Richard to live with us. I always joke that the amount I complain is going to cancel out any blessings that might be coming our way. It wasn't until I started looking at other 3-bedroom apartments around here that I realized how incredibly blessed we have been. Most 3-bedrooms in Richard's high school boundary cost $500-700 more than we are paying. And I'm not exaggerating. We have been very blessed, and I think I need to work a bit more on the whole complaining thing, because I'm not big on taking things for granted.

3 comments:

Chris said...

So true, you have been blessed. Glad to hear that you'll be in the country at least another two years. The rent is great news.

LJ said...

Hurray and congratulations! Sibblings Rock.

Julia said...

congrats to you guys ... i am so happy for you.