Thursday, June 26, 2008

the perfect morning

Even though I was up until 12:30 last night (spent a little too much time at the Cheesecake Factory with Erica, Denise, and Trinity), I got up at 6:00 this morning.

This was my morning to relax. Not sleep in--but relax. Sometimes I forget to relax.

First, I went on a walk around the park. I went around and around and around. The air was the perfect crispness and the grass was covered in dew. The smokey sky made for a bright orange sun coming up behind the bright green park trees. I really enjoyed walking for a change. I noticed all the squirrels--fat, skinny, scraggly, bold, jumpy, grey, brown, red, black. We have some serious squirrel diversity around here. The lichen on the trees was so bright it almost glowed in the morning sun. The huge oaks looked like giant umbrellas. One man was doing laps around the park running backwards, and it reminded me that running backwards is really good for your muscles. Remember that for my next workout. The lady meditating in the amphitheater was in the exact same position everytime I passed. Hadn't moved an inch. She was amazing. And the groundskeeper's face was so familiar that I spent a great deal of my time trying to figure out how I know him.

Of course, I got bored of walking after 5 laps and did some lunges. My instinct after lunges is to start jogging (like we do at track workouts), so I decided I had gotten my relaxing walk in and I jogged/lunged/squatted from then on out. It was refreshing.

My morning continued with stretching, scripture reading, praying, breakfast, and meditation. I used to meditate in a religions class back in college and I loved it. This morning I only meditated for five minutes, but that was plenty. My mind is constantly moving, and trying to quiet it is pretty hard. So five minutes of zero thought was a challenge. Perhaps I'll try more again tomorrow.

Of course, after getting ready, doing dishes, taking out the trash, and getting to work, I was totally late. But it was soooo worth it. Have you relaxed lately?

1 comment:

Veronica Cleverly said...

I wish I could relax but I am running around with two year old all day and then take care of Savannah after work only to find a million things that I used to do during the day needing to be done at night when i would normal relax. The word relax has been temporarily removed from my vocabulary and my life.