Friday, May 16, 2008

master molly

Yep. After my graduation ceremony tonight you all have to address me as Master Molly. It's mandatory.

And you have to bring me gifts every time you see me.

In fact, could you all clean my house and cook my meals out of respect for me?




Hahahaha. Seriously, I'm excited to be done with my program. For those of you who don't know what I've been studying, I'm getting a Masters in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages). This means that I'll be able to teach English to adults for community-based ESL (English as a Second Language) programs, community college ESL classes, private language schools, and EFL (English as a Foreign Language) in other countries.

The only thing I can't teach is Adult School, which is run through school districts and requires an Adult Ed credential, which I just found out only consists of a couple requirements. So I'll probably go get that, too.

It's not a CA teaching credential, so I can't necessarily teach K-12 (which is ok since I'd rather teach adults). And, yes, I can teach students even if I don't know their first language (L1). In fact, most ESL classes are made up of students from many different L1s.

I think that covers it. So don't be surprised if Christian and I move to another country the first chance we get. Granted, that won't be for a while since he still has at least 3 semesters of school left, but I'm just warning you all in advance...

9 comments:

Tyler said...

Congratulations! I'm very impressed that you did all this while working. And sorry we won't be at your graduation tonight. Someone made us sign up for a race tomorrow near Folsom and we have to head up there tonight. Good luck!

Molly said...

Wow. What kind of lame person would make you run a race all the way in Folsom on such a hot weekend? ;)

I'll see you bright and early tomorrow ready to run! (Or maybe jog slowly. I haven't decided yet.)

Amy Carter said...

I never thought about the 'teaching in a foreign country' aspect of your degree. that means you could live anywhere and get a job. good planning! hope you get to take advantage of it. Congrats! You can finally enjoy your evenings again.

Ashley C. said...

Move somewhere really cool so I can come visit (for months at a time)!

Jenni said...

Master Molly, congrats! Feels good, doesn't it? If you figure out how to really make people do stuff for you, let me know how because I haven't gotten any of that kind of love!

Julia said...

congrats again, molly!! enjoy your weekend with the fam!

nicole said...

Congratulations!!

d/b/c/m said...

that's so awesome molly! congratulations! i'm sure you'll be a fantastic teacher. this post totally made me miss teaching so much--it's such a great profession!

we'll have to party for it! wanna go latin dancing?

Matt, Ella, and Jane said...

Molly, Congratulations! That is such a huge accomplishment. You should be proud!