Sunday, May 4, 2008

like butta'

I got this great idea to make almond butter today. So I did.

First I roasted the almonds. I put them in the oven for about 5 minutes, stirred them around a little, and put them back in. I set the timer for 2 minutes and sat back down. A few minutes later I realized the timer never went off. I looked at the timer and it had moved up to almost 4 minutes! Whose timer moves backwards?? Mine, obviously. But the almonds were fine.



Next it was into the food processor, and at first it looked like it was going really well.



But then once it was all in small pieces, it stopped blending. You know when you're making a milkshake and it's so thick that the blades create a big hole in the middle of the shake and don't do a thing? Same thing, only with almonds. No matter what I did, they would not budge. I pushed them down with a fork--the blades just created a new void. I shook it while the blades were running--nothing. I was so frustrated. So I broke down and added some oil. It still took a long time, but it eventually started mixing again. Next time I'll have more patience and try to do it without any oil.

Holy cow. It took forever. I even took a break to go work in my "garden" so that the food processor could cool down. Then another break to clean the kitchen. Man. Who knew?



I finally got tired of holding the button down (it's more of a pulse kind of button, doesn't stay down on its own), so I rigged it with tape. Ahhh. So much nicer. And I'm a snob when it comes to peanut butter. I like it smooth as smooth can be. So I'm letting that baby run as long as possible.

Y por fin, almond butter! Mmmmm.

6 comments:

Jennifer Barney said...

I feel your pain. i broke many blenders attempting to do the same thing - come up with a just like PB smooth almond butter. I finally got it and it is fabulous and I made it my own brand and sell it online and in Whole Foods and others in 6 states! Send me a message that you'd like to try it and I'll send you a free sample www.barneybutter.com

Molly said...

Wow. I checked out your website, Jennifer, and that is really neat! Congrats on your success! I look forward to trying your almond butter. Mine turned out kind of grainy, but hey--it was my first try. Regardless, it was really good with honey on whole wheat. Yum!

Ashley C. said...

Oh, sexy almond butter eating picture. Nice hair!

LKC said...

Mmmm. Sounds good. I'll have to try that. Your hair looks execptionally lovely, btw.

Julia said...

looks delicious molly! we only eat almond butter at our house now - but from trader joes! :)

Veronica Cleverly said...

I love your hair! Those big soft curls are to die for! Way to go on the butter!