Monday, April 21, 2008

name that tune

Growing up we listened to a lot of music. My parents have always loved music (as evidenced by the opera, Ray Charles, or Mexican ballads blasting out of my dad's barn). I grew up listening to the Mamas and the Papas, The Beatles, Porgy and Bess, or Peter, Paul and Mary on the record player.

Not to mention I'm the youngest in my family, so by the time I was paying attention to music, my older brothers and sisters knew all the good music. In our house, the music was always on: The Police, The Bangles, Violent Femmes, Tiffany, Cyndi Lauper, Talking Heads, Enya, The Cars, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, The Clash, The Cure, Depeche Mode, Erasure, Debbie Gibson, Journey, INXS, Howard Jones, Edie Brickell, Dolly Parton (yes, Dolly Parton), Garth Brooks, Bob Marley. The list could go on and on and on and on.

A common game in our family was name that tune.



Or more like name that artist. This was never actually planned. It would always just happen when we were in the car together. Everyone seemed to be able to guess who was on the radio--except me. I was HORRIBLE at this game! I never knew who was singing. I always knew the chorus of the song. Always. But never had any idea who it was.

So tonight on the way to Christian's soccer game, I asked him who was singing a song. Keep in mind that I knew almost all the words to the song, but couldn't remember who sang it. It turned into a game. Christian started flipping through the songs in his play list to see how fast I could guess the singer. These were the artists on the playlist:

The Killers
The Bravery
Kaiser Chiefs
Modest Mouse
White Stripes
Franz Ferdinand
We are Scientists
Hot Hot Heat
Gorillaz
Beck
Snow Patrol
Postal Service
Death Cab for Cutie

How did I do? I'm still horrible! I mixed up Modest Mouse and White Stripes half the time. Hot Hot Heat, Gorillaz, and Beck were easy because they don't sound like the others. Postal Service and Death Cab were easy, but I had to figure out which one it was. But the rest were pretty much a guessing game unless it was my favorite song by that artist.

I can sing all the songs, but that's about it. Maybe it's a direct reflection of my bad memory.

Now we're at home and playing Name that Commercial. Yep. Just as bad.

1 comment:

Josh, Veronica, and Savannah said...

I would be creamed in a name that tune game. You did one million times better than I ever would. Josh will try from time to time to play that game and every time I fail miserably.