Monday, April 28, 2008

brunette

(I promise--last hair post for a while.)

Well after my absolutely perfect hair day on Saturday, I decided to stay brunette for a while. I re-dyed my roots, but didn't do my hair super dark like before. It's just dark brown, not practically black. The nicer dye I got from Trinity sticks better, so I don't have to start out quite so dark.

Although after watching Baby Mama with Christian this weekend, I decided I want Amy Poehler Blonde.



That should be the name for her hair color. It was the perfect blonde (even less yellow than in the picture above). I know. It's pretty extreme from what I have now and would probably take me endless shades of orange to get there from my dark dye job, but some day I'll do it.

The only thing holding me back (besides the millions of dye jobs to get my hair that color) is my work. Yes, I can have blonde hair at my work. But I work with a ton of medical students and faculty. Many of whom I only see a couple times a year. It's hard enough for them to recognize me as it is. But I learned after going dark that anyone who might recognize me definitely doesn't after a drastic hair-color change. I really don't want to re-meet everyone again. That might sound kind of lame, but it really is frustrating to walk past a doctor or student whom I've worked with on committees for the last 2 years and have them give me that uh-sure-I'll-say-hi-as-we-walk-past-each-other-in-the-hall-but-I-have-no-idea-who-you-are
look. I get that enough as it is.

Such a dilemma. If I only worked with the people in my office, it wouldn't matter. But after working somewhere for over 3 years, I don't know if I want to add to the number of people around the medical school who still don't recognize me.

But if I quit my job, I could go blonde and not care who didn't recognize me. Is that a valid reason to quit a job? Unfortunately, I don't think it is.

4 comments:

V. said...

I haven't seen the movie yet, but in the previews Amy looks super cute. No wonder why you want blonde!

Matt, Ella, and Jane said...

I totally understand why you don't want to make a big change, but I actually think red would be AWESOME!

d/b/c/m said...

i totally relate! jobs are style prison!

i swore i would dye my hair teal and lavendar as soon as i wasn't teaching anymore and didn't have to be conventional. i bought al the dye, but realized that those colors would look terrible with my skin, so i did pink instead.

ever since then, i do pink in some form or another about once a year and love it.

you could pull off any color. i say go purple or pink, then see if they forget you!

Molly said...

Work and church.

Every couple weeks Christian cuts a little short mohawk into his hair (ok, I am the one who actually cuts it), but he's reluctant to wear it at church because he's afraid the parents of some of the kids in our primary class will freak out. Sad, huh?

I'm sure they already think we're a lost cause since Richard shows up with a different color every couple months. But he has only missed one day of seminary (I slept in), chooses not to hang out with certain people at school because he doesn't like the topics they talk about, and is getting better grades than ever before. I'd say he's a pretty darn good kid, but I'm sure half the people at church think he's a druggy because of his hair color. Hahaha.