Monday, March 3, 2008

bone marrow

I finally did it. I signed up to be a bone marrow donor. I'm so excited. I've been wanting to do this for a while, but whenever they had bone marrow drives around here, I've been too busy to go.

Anyone who lives in the area and has a bit of time should stop by today or tomorrow. It takes less than 10 minutes. You fill out a form and rub a couple cotton swabs in your mouth to get a sample. This will put you on the Gift of Life registry. See the flyer below.



If you want to sign up on the National Marrow Donor Program registry, you can sign up at the ASHA Spring Run in Mountain View on March 16th. It is a 5k/10k, but if you don't want to do the run, you can just go and sign up for the donor registry. I talked to the organizer and the registry is free of cost to donors, but since it will cost the Asian American Donor Program $25 to tissue type caucasian donors, it would be nice to make a donation to the organization.

Have a great Monday!

4 comments:

Ashley (tylers sister...not wife) said...

Does it hurt??

LJ said...

Yep, it sure does, but hurts some more than others. That's so nice of you Molls!

Kaylynn said...

Is it bad that I got tested but am secretly hoping no one ever needs my marrow? I've seen the needle...it's more accurate to call it a knitting stick.

Molly said...

Really? I hope they do find someone who needs me! I love giving blood, because I know it gets used by someone who needs it. And I love the idea of helping someone who needs a bone marrow transplant. I figured, what's a bit of pain in comparison to someone who is going to die? Ha! Ask me again if I ever actually end up being a donor. I might have a different answer.