Sunday, March 16, 2008

birthday fun and plants galore

Happy Birthday, Mom!

Like I said before, my mom is the best. Friday was my mom's birthday, and I was lucky enough to hang out with her all day. I hope she had as much fun as I did!



The day started with the San Francisco Flower and Garden Show at the Cow Palace. If you know my mom, you know she has a beautiful garden (well, many beautiful gardens) and is the reason I love plants. If you know my sister, Ashley, you know she is a landscape designer who plants a garden wherever she lives and can tell you the name of most plants you point out. And if you know me, you know I just pretend to be like them with my little balcony garden.

Anyone else would have been bored to tears, but we walked around the Cow Palace for 3 1/2 hours. Here are some highlights:

This wonderful combination of succulents and euphorbia planted on a little ledge:


This garden was one of my favorites. Sorry the picture isn't very good. It was so simple. Olive trees and grasses with a small peaceful sitting area in the center. The sitting area was lined with a concrete bench that you can see in the second photo:





The show used a lot of succulents, california natives, and other easily sustainable plants in the gardens. This was a great pot arrangement:



Some day I'll have red bud tree:



And soon I'll get some euphorbia:



And flowering currants (Ribes):



Not to mention Helleboras:



We came home with some new little plants:



After the show we hung out with Amy, Ivan, and Diego. Lunch at Mikonos was yummy and left us quite full. Then we of course got to spend plenty of time being entertained by Diego.





Just had to take a pictures of the beautiful scenery on the way home:




To top it all off, we met up with Tyler, Ashley, Charlie, Max, Dad, Christian, Jose, and Richard for a nice dinner at Fontanas in Cupertino. Charlie kept us (and plenty of other people in the restaurant) well entertained.















Happy Birthday, Mom!

6 comments:

Sally Teeple said...

That cloud picture is amazing! Check out this link; my dad sent it to me today, because he saw the same kind of crazy bumpy cloud that's in your picture (but his was in Southern California): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mammatus_cloud

I too have a mini garden on our balcony, although I prefer to call it a lanai. It's Hawaiian for "balcony", and it just makes our apartment seem so much more tropical. : )

Julia Wade said...

what a fun day, molly.

reminds me of the few times you helped me turn my black thumb green! can you come to north carolina and help me do my garden here?

Rockin' Radicals said...

Hi, this is Cassy, Veronica's sister-in-law. I hope you don't mind I stalk your blog. :)

I was wondering what that plant was called that you bought? I am a garden /house plant/vegetable garden freak. I already started mine and it is still snowing. They sun bathe in my window.

Thanks,
Cassy

Molly said...

Hi Cassy! I bought a few plants, but only posted one. I'll post a picture after I plant them. They were all succulents. I'm not sure what the specific varieties are called, but there are some amazing ones out there. And they would do great in your hot summers there. Look up succulents on google images and I'm sure you can find some pretty cool ones. I'll try to find out what varieties I got when I get home tonight. Glad you like it!

Ashley Christine said...

ps...the succulents won't do well in Cassy's snowy weather though. She'll have to bring them in for the winter. The little plant you had a picture of is probably a Sedum.

Molly said...

See! I told you she knows everything!!