Monday, February 25, 2008

while we still can

We have to do what we can, while we still can, right? Because some day there will be babies. And then toddlers. And then big kids. And then teenagers! (Oh, wait. We already have those.)

So yesterday was the perfect example. We came home from church and headed off to a friend's birthday party. I know. It was a Sunday. When we were little, we weren't allowed to go to birthday parties on Sundays. Now that we are older, having some friends over for dinner and games is a perfectly acceptable Sunday activity. Why is that?

Sorry. I got side tracked. So we went to Karolina's birthday celebration. Karolina is married to a Brazilian. And all their friends are Brazilian. Literally. So we rocked out to Brazilian music, ate amazing Brazilian barbeque, spoke Portuguese (ok, I only listened--I can understand, but I can't speak), and listened to the girls talk about plastic surgery. What better way to spend a Sunday afternoon?

Although Brazilian parties last all day (and night), we had to cut out early, much to the disappointment of Karolina. But I had to go home and finish my huge list of school work.

Of course, I had forgotten that I had promised Christian a Sunday afternoon nap. (Yes. Just a nap.) So we snuggled up around 5pm and.... Woke up around 8:30pm. Oops. So much for getting things done. So much for cooking that big chunk of meat marinating in the fridge. So much for getting all my school work done.

But, oh, it was such a nice nap.

Besides, once we have kids, taking three-hour naps together in the middle of the day is out of the question. Right? Right.

5 comments:

Ashley said...

Right, and it's so, SO sad.

Julia Wade said...

hmmm, still a believer that maybe 3 hour naps are possible then. julia just might live in la la land! :)

Josh, Veronica, and Savannah said...

You could have a three hour nap but that is only if Dad is willing to brave the kids. I think the best you can do is if you nap with the kids but that is only an hour and a half to two hours. Live it up!!! I am in nap envy

Carbonneau said...

When they are little, three hour naps happen, but then if you are like me...workaholic...then you want to try to "accomplish" something while they nap and then by the time you realize it always just gets messed up again anyways, they are out of three hour nap stages...lol. Chris likes to nap for three hours though, lol jk I let him nap with the baby, he will take a sleeping baby faster than I can ask him to :)

LKC said...

Treasure those naps now. Also, go to nice restaurants. Ones where it would be inappropriate for a baby to be throwing french fries on the ground.