Wednesday, February 13, 2008

race fees

If I could, I would do a half marathon or triathlon every month.



The main problem is the race fees.



San Jose half: $75
RunSF half: $70
Cal International Marathon: $75
Lake of the Pines triathlon: $50
Santa Cruz half: $55

And of course, one of our all-time favorites--the Nike Women's in San Francisco. This year's fees? Full marathon: $110. Half marathon: $95.

Yikes!



For this reason, I'm somewhat picky about how many races I do. I can easily spend $500 on race fees in any given year. And that doesn't even include the other running expenses--shoes, clothes, gu, etc.

Which got me thinking. Wow--$500 is a pretty big chunk of money. But it's all relative, right? Let's take golf for example.



Weekend golf rates:

San Juan Oaks: $85
Coyote Hills: $102
Spyglass: $330
Pebble Beach: $495

So I say, hey--if this is worth $495...



This is certainly worth $110...



Can I get an amen?

7 comments:

Ashley said...

Sigh. . . those golf rates are why Tyler and I can't afford for me to have any hobbies. Makes running look super cheap! And think how much you are saving in med expenses bc you are healthy.

Matt, Ella, and Jane said...

95 dollars for a half? But wait, is that the one where you get Tiffany's jewelry?

Sally Teeple said...

Yeah, and a really cute T-shirt?

LKC said...

So what do the race fees go to anyway?

Ryan said...

Amen!

Molly said...

Ashley--Good point!

Ella--Yep! Always a cute Tiffany's necklace.

Sally--Also yep! The shirt was super cute last year and I do wear it.

LJ--Race fees normally go to things like water stops, finish line snacks, medals, shirts, the organization hosting the event, etc. But this race benefits the Leukemia and Lymphoma society, so a good chunk of the race fees go to cancer research.

Ryan--I can always count on you. :)

ryan, maren and leah said...

amen!

a bit steep this year, yes. but i couldn't ask for better scenery...OR company.