Monday, February 11, 2008

love love me do

In preparation for Valentines day (and to test out cupcake recipes for Deirdre's wedding), Deirdre, Lori, and I made some cupcakes.



Granted, we're not professional confectioners, but we definitely had fun decorating the cupcakes. Deirdre is on this crazy oatmeal and deli meat diet (ok, she can eat more than that, but those are the staples), I had vowed to not eat junk food until Valentines Day (I haven't exactly been 100% good, but I haven't had any dessert), and Lori just doesn't have much of a sweet tooth. So other than teeny taste tests of the frosting, we didn't actually eat any of the cupcakes while making them.

Big mistake.

I came home last night with eight tasty cupcakes on a plate. Richard made dinner for us--the best salmon I have ever had--and the boys went straight for the cupcakes after dinner.

Christian peeled the paper off of a chocolate cupcake. The chocolate one was a vegan recipe, so there was a chance it wasn't very good. After one bite, Christian made me try it. It tasted like play-doh. No joke. Such a disappointment! So we peeled the paper off the other cupcakes and Christian tried a red velvet while Richard tried a yellow cake. No good.

All the cupcakes were dense and not very tasty. How sad!

So the rest of the cupcakes are sitting there until Valentines Day, when I will gladly lick the frosting off and throw them away. Have I ever told you how much I like frosting? I can't wait until Valentines Day...

6 comments:

Tyler said...

That's too bad about the cupcakes. Such a dissappointment from things that look so tasty. I suppose vegans are allowed to have a sweet tooth too, but I've never really understood the concept of dessert with non-dessert ingredients. Like low-fat ice cream, or cookies made with artificial sweetener...what a waste.
I say, if you're gonna have dessert, do it right. Real butter, real sugar, eggs (with yokes), etc. Save low-calorie for the side dishes.

veeda said...

well...they at least look super pretty!

Mer. said...

Yay for kindred spirits! I love frosting too and everyone else in my family thinks it is disgusting, which is great because it means more for me!

The cupcakes look awesome.

Ashley (tylers sister...not wife) said...

You should have called me, I have a really good vegan chocolate cupcake recipe. Very light and fluffy. I've had much better luck with vegan chocolate cakes than vegan white cakes though. I'm pretty impressed that you didn't eat all the cupcakes...at this point I don't know if I could have resisted (ps I had a hot chocolate tonight :(

Josh, Veronica, and Savannah said...

If you want I can give you the red velvet recipe from my wedding. I loved those cup cakes!

Ed & Lindsey said...

Those cupcakes look fabulous! Too bad they didn't taste good. :( But really the decor looks so professional!