Friday, January 18, 2008

under pressure

I can't work unless I'm under pressure. It's incredibly annoying. And unless I have something I'm training for, I start slacking on my exercise. People are constantly asking me why I do so many races. Why? Because is causes pressure--which makes me get off my butt.

When I read Julia's post about her new mantra, I asked her for a mantra that would get my butt up and out of my chair to go running. Julia proposed something intriguing. "Beat Julia." A little competition--who can run the best 4-mile time by Monday. Considering I haven't been running at all lately (that's what happens when there's no race on the calendar), she's going to kick my butt. But I don't even care. It's the pressure that I like. My fastest 4-mile time? Probably 34 minutes (8 1/2 minute miles). I'll be lucky if I run 9-minute miles by Monday. So I suggested we see who can get the fastest time every week.

Granted, I'm not the most competitive person, so I'll feel a little silly (and a little evil) saying "Beat Julia!" while I run, but since it was her idea, I'll just have to go for it.

Thanks for the motivation, Julia! Let the games begin!

4 comments:

Ashley said...

You and Tyler are such siblings. I can't believe how much weight he's lost in the last month just because there is a competition. He doesn't even want to be skinnier, he just wants to win.

Molly said...

I just ran 4 miles. Thought I was going to die. I thought, "Beat Julia!" and then I thought, "I don't care if I beat Julia." I think I need to work on my competitiveness.

PS--Ashley-Did Tyler take a before picture? He definitely should have. And then he can take an anorexic after picture just to show how determined he is. :)

Josh, Veronica, and Savannah said...

You go girl!!! I know you can win!

veeda said...

oh my gosh, i am so impressed. i've run the 4 minute mile like, never.