Monday, January 14, 2008

the human body: take 1

As many of you know, the human body fascinates me. I think it is the most amazing creation. And I consider it one of my many hobbies.

Source: www.medicalook.com/human_anatomy/systems/Muscular_system.html


Side note: I removed the side link with my weight and measurements. Having is sit there without any progress made it look like some strange obsession instead of a progress report. And that's not what I want to convey. Getting into shape is my hobby, not my obsession. If it were an obsession, I'd have 10 percent body fat. :)

Love our bodies or hate our bodies? I know it's not always black and white, but most people lean toward one side or the other. It's often hard to love our bodies in this perfection-obsessed world. Plastic surgery, diets, age-defying products. Like I said, nothing is black and white, so I don't think all surgery, diets, and products are evil. That would just be silly and border on extremist. But it's important to be cautious and healthy.

Source: www.nationalgeographic.com/


I think the way the human body changes and morphs is amazing. A friend of mine (a teenager) was recently complaining that her butt and thighs were growing. She is one of the most beautiful people I know (and has a hot little body), and her "growing" butt and thighs are only changing her from an absolutely beautiful girl to an absolutely beautiful woman. The other day I met a guy at the gym who had lost 400 pounds. What an accomplishment. He looked great, but more importantly he was so proud of himself. Another friend of mine recently struggled through an inflamed vestibular nerve in her ear, causing vertigo and over four months of recovery time. There was nothing medicine could do to heal the problem--she just had to wait it out, and her body worked it out and fixed it on its own. I now have vericose veins on my legs and more noticeable wrinkles around my eyes. No big deal. That's what's supposed to happen and makes me love my body that much more. It works. It's doing what it's supposed to.

I know growing old isn't always glamorous. I know it's frustrating when you can't do the things you used to. I know there are aches and pains and hard times associated with an old body. But it's natural.

Source: www.pbase.com/quahyc/portraiture


I love my body, and I think it's fun to see how it changes. So I'm finally going to start my project. I've told some people about my project, but not many. Some people have looked at me like I'm insane. Others have understood the art behind it. It makes me want to be 80 already, just to see the final product.

Picture this: a flipbook look at the changes a body goes through from the "prime" years through old age. To some people, this might sound depressing, but to me it sounds beautiful. I'm sure I'm not the first to do this, but since it will be of myself, I'm quite excited. I plan to take pictures of myself (in a bikini--I'm just not artsy enough to go nude) at set intervals for the rest of my life. Pregnancy, recovery, losing weight, gaining weight, growing old, changes in the shape of my body, changes in the elasticity of my skin. Not to mention it will be fun to see how my hair color/style/length morphs over time. Of course, I won't be posting these pictures. At the end of the project, it will be art. But until then, it's just pictures of me in a bikini. Not happening.

Source: www.nationalgeographic.com/


Who knows what the future holds. Who knows if I will live long enough to finish this project. But I'm not worried about it. Just excited.

6 comments:

Jennie said...

It is the most amazing thing we will ever posses! Our bodies are just SO cool.

Ed & Lindsey said...

That sounds like a lot of fun. Nice idea. Good luck!

Julie and Lenny said...

have you been to bodyworlds at The Tech? sounds like you'd like it...

Tyler said...

I was just going to say the same thing about the Body Worlds exhibit. It's fascinating. You should go see it.

http://www.bodyworlds.com/en.html

Ashley (tylers sister...not wife) said...

I remember my photography teacher telling me about her friends baby announcement. She made a flip book of her belly growing and the last photo was of her holding her newborn. I always thought that was a great idea.

ps. I'll go to body worlds with you if you haven't gone yet. i really want to go.

Josh, Veronica, and Savannah said...

That project sounds really neat. I love my body! Shoot, without it I wouldn't be here. YEA for BODIES!!