Monday, November 12, 2007

wanted: the perfect boots

Wanted: the perfect pair of boots. I have only owned a couple pairs of boots in my adult life. I know that sounds absolutely absurd, but it's true. I am so incredibly picky when it comes to boots that I never buy any (and those I did buy were just because I gave up on my perfect boot). But every winter I start my search all over again. I've been looking for my ideal boots since the Winter of 2000. While in Spain I actually considered paying a shoe-maker to design my ideal boots, but I figured they wouldn't look just right and I'd be stuck with really expensive, not-quite-right boots.

While there are plenty of very cute boots out there, these are my dream boots...

* Black, but not shiny
* A pair in brown, too, if possible
* Flat heel or very (very) small wedge
* Square toe
* Flat toe, meaning that if you look at the toe from the side, the top is not rounded
* Thin sole
* Knee-high (mid/high-calf length would be nice, but doesn't work so well with big calves)
* Slim in the ankle
* Not too slim in the calf (I can't zip up some boots because I have big calves)
* Simple yet original stitching on the toe
* No buckles or other ornamentation
* No saggy, bulldog-looking design

These would be cute if they had more of a square toe and were a little tighter in the ankle (since they'll most likely stretch out and become saggy):


These are actually pretty cute (same criticism as the pair above), but who has $500 to spend on a pair of boots?


Cute, but not perfect (kind of military-esque)...


In fact, can someone just look at the basic shape of an old pair of square-toed Diesel shoes and design a pair of sleek black-leather knee-high boots from them, please?

8 comments:

ryan, maren and leah said...

i'm with ya - i've been looking for my perfect pair as well and still haven't found them. i gave up a few years ago and bought some okay black ones. so this winter, i'm on the prowl for brown. i'll probably give up again because i just want boots so bad!

let's become boot designers together.

Sarah said...

Hey, i may have the answer for you...duoboots.com do AMAZING boots. They are UK based but shipping is really easy from them- i have bought 4 pairs! Here are a few suggestions for you...
http://www.duoboots.com/calf_fitted_boots/classic/ravenna
http://www.duoboots.com/calf_fitted_boots/classic/cavalio
http://www.duoboots.com/calf_fitted_boots/casual/malmo

the best part is they do different calf sizes so they are perfect for larger than stick insect legs!

Sarah said...

Oh and these....http://www.duoboots.com/calf_fitted_boots/casual/naples

Biff Daddy said...

Hey do you know which Diesel shoes those in your picture are? I love the square toe shoes and this design rocks. Looked on ebay but can't find this design. Maybe they're a couple of years old. Cheers

Molly said...

Hey Biff Daddy. They are pretty sweet, huh? Unfortunately I just got the image off google images, but now the only picture I can find of them is the one on my blog. Sorry! I wish I knew. I remember I looked forever for the right picture, so I have no idea where I found it. Good luck!

Katia's useless blog said...

actually they do exits.
I got them 2 years ago in europe:

http://pixelwarehouse.ca/_+_/boots.jpg

Molly said...

Katia--those are adorable! I knew they'd have them in Europe. I've been looking for them since I lived in Spain (almost 6 years ago).

Katia's useless blog said...

thanks, they were worth every penny. I used them up down to the rubber in the soles. I wish now i would have bought another pair. I since looked if i can find them somewhere but with no luck.

There was a whole line diesel had couple years ago and they has some nice boots, but nothing similar the last couple of seasons