Tuesday, October 2, 2007

beauty

I'm a people watcher. If you ever find me staring at you, don't take it personally. That's just what I do--and half the time I don't even mean to. In fact, most of the time I don't even realize I'm looking at someone until they look back at me. Oops!

Sitting on the train--I watch people. Walking down the street--I watch people. Sitting in church--I watch people. Eating in a restaurant, sitting in a meeting at work, even on the freeway (while Christian is driving, of course).

(Side note: Have you ever compared people to their cars? It's a great way to pass the time on the freeway. Most people match their cars quite well, but the most amusing cases are when it looks like a homeless person is driving a Lexus or a completely-way-over-done-wanna-be-rich-girl is driving a rusty old clunker. Try it sometime.)

I'm fascinated by people. They way they interact. The way they move. And especially the way they look. I love looking at faces, butts, arms, legs, hair. But most of all, I like looking at faces. It's amazing that in almost every society there is a standard for beauty. The standard is different across cultures, but every culture or society has a norm to which people are compared.

In one of my classes at school, we have a very diverse student population. First and second languages include English, French, Spanish, Russian, Italian, Mandarin, Thai, Vietnamese, Japanese, and Korean. (English is most often the second language spoken by my classmates.) Most of my classmates are foreign students. Since I have an incredibly hard time paying attention in class, I find myself easily distracted by my classmates.

It occurred to me just the other day that everyone in my class is beautiful. If I put them next to each other, my initial impression would be that some are better looking than others. But as I looked at each person individually, it was obvious that each person was amazingly beautiful--people who I would not have labeled as beautiful right off the bat. Our society's definition of beautiful is so engrained in our heads (we've been socialized to such norms since we were born) that it takes a minute to see past the traditionally acceptable qualifications for beauty.

I wish I could post pictures of my classmates on this blog so you could see them all. The way they smile, the way they express confusion, the way they laugh, the way they answer questions.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this, but it's just been a source of happiness for me lately and I wanted to share. :)

5 comments:

LJ said...

Next time I feel someone staring at me I'll know which way to look! :)

Mer said...

If people match their cars...well, I've had to jump-start mine about 3 times this week (well, actually Baptiste did it...) now, what does that say about me???.

I'm totally a people-watcher too!

Tyler said...

That's awesome. You have a class full of hot people? You should take pictures and post them. That would definitely pull more readers in.

Molly said...

Not hot by your typical American standards. But a deeper beauty.

Tyler said...

Typical American standards?