Thursday, September 27, 2007

oh tivo, how i need you so

Kaylynn's comments on TiVo got me thinking, or should I say, revived my thoughts from this past week. I'm never home. No--literally--I'm never home. I leave the house between 7:15 and 8:15 every morning. Mondays I get home at 9:30pm. Tuesdays at 7:30pm. Wednesdays at 9:45pm. Thursdays at 7:30pm. Fridays I usually plan something for after work, so I get home anytime between 5:30 and 9:00pm. Most Tuesdays and Thursdays I have something else to do after I get home, too.

This is not to elicit "poor Molly" comments. I do it to myself. I like having a lot to do. But my point is that sometimes I would like to just sit at home. But I rarely want to watch TV.



I am constantly coming home to Richard, Dianna, and/or Christian staring at the TV. Truth be told, it drives me insane. It makes it look like they've all been sitting there staring at the TV mindlessly all day. Granted, I know this isn't true. Dianna works and goes to ballet and babysits at night. She stays pretty busy. Richard hangs out at the Derby's, does his homework, makes himself dinner, and goes to the skate park. He, too, keeps himself pretty busy. And Christian goes to work, goes to school, makes dinner, does laundry, etc. etc. etc. So he's very busy, too. But somehow every time I walk in the door -- it's TV time. It just makes people look lazy. And that's stems from the fact that even when I come home at 7:30pm, there is still plenty for me to do without sitting in front of the TV. So I automatically think, "Isn't there something else you guys could be doing??"

I know. I'm pretty alone on this one. Most people I know love spending hours in front of the TV. It's their way of relaxing.

So to pull a complete 180 on you guys -- here's why I'm a hypocrite. I'm not a big fan of spending a lot of time in front of the TV, but I do have my guilty pleasures. There are only a few shows I love. And if one of my shows is on, don't call me. Don't stop by. In fact, don't even try to have a side conversation with me. I need to hear the TV and unlike most people in the civilized world, I can't just push pause. (Disclaimer--I'm still usually multitasking while watching my shows.) I know. It's funny and completely hypocritical. And I'm not denying it.

That's where TiVo comes into the picture. As life gets busier, TV gets better. Why is that? For example. Tonight.

8:00-9:00pm on CBS: Survivor China


9:00-10:00pm on NBC: The Office season premiere


9:00-10:00pm on ABC: Grey's Anatomy season premiere


Tell me. What exactly am I supposed to do? And why don't I have TiVo yet? Oh wait. I know why. It costs money. Hmmmm.

6 comments:

Julie and Lenny said...

tivo will change your life. seriously. we got ours for free when tivo was giving them out at their headquarters in milpitas and then signed on to the lifetime contract.....that only way to go! once you get it, you'll wonder how you ever watched "regular" tv. look for one on ebay with a lifetime contract. they are transferrable in most cases! I'm a huge tivo advocate as you can tell! or you can always buy a non-tivo DVR that does the same thing for less!

Jenni said...

Don't worry - next week will get even busier and you'll want a tivo even more. Why? Because the season premier of 30 Rock is on on Thursday! I know - most people can't give up Grey's for it. But, if you haven't seen it, you need to. It's one of the funniest shows out there and ranks right up there with The Office in my book!

LJ said...

I have a tivo you can have! Of course we technically gave it to Brody already, but he didn't take it. I'll let you two fight over it. We don't have tivo anymore because our phone line broke. We'd have to completely re-wire. Once you've got the tivo it's only 12 bucks a month or something. You could have your roomies pay for it!

Ashley said...

I love good tv. Like you I usually have to fold laundry or blog or otherwise multitask during my shows, but I have already watched both Grey's and the office from tonight and they were fabulous. DVR is a good investment but then again there are probably more noble ways to spend 6 bucks a month. There is always waiting til the next year and renting the dvds.

Molly said...

As for having the roomies pay for it, we've thought about that. But we've decided we'll have them help with the cost, but we'll pay the majority. The reason? So we can have control over what gets recorded and ensure that we get to watch what we want when we want. :) If they paid for it, I would feel obligated to let them have most of the control over it.

Molly said...

Oh, and we have a used 40- or 80- hour box (not sure what it is), but I think it doesn't record 2 channels at once, and that's a problem with The Office and Grey's... my whole reason for needing it!