Tuesday, September 11, 2007

clean clothes

It's impossible. I simply cannot keep my clothes clean.

Two weeks ago I was riding with my sweatshirt draped over my shoulder bag. Little did I know that the arm of the sweatshirt reached my wheel. It very quickly caught in the wheel and breaks, slowing my bike down and leaving a very nice black smudge all over the cuff of my sweatshirt sleeve. So annoying.

Last week I was walking down my steps in the morning and got a nice grease smudge from my bike gears (in that tell-tale bike gear shape) on my new khaki shorts. Of course, the reason it happened in the first place is because I was rushing off to catch the train. I didn't have time to go back in and change my shorts. So I wore dirty shorts to work. I honestly think I was the only one who noticed.

Later that week I did the exact same thing to a pair of my jeans while getting off the train. Luckily my jeans are dark, and it's harder to notice. And since I don't wash my jeans every time I wear them, I forgot and hung them up in my closet. So yesterday I got to work, looked down, and "Dang it!" I wore the dirty jeans.

So this morning on the way to work my chain came off the gears. Blasted bike! So I got off my bike (which, by the way, is very amusing now that I have a high bar again... I practically fall over ever time I try to get off my bike) and proceeded to fix my chain. Holy grease! I guess Mark did a good job greasing the chain. I ended up with grease all over my fingers and even on my arm (in that tell-tale bike gear shape once again). Of course, I didn't have anything to wipe the grease on, so I did what any normal human being would do--I rubbed dirt all over the grease. So I managed to ride to work without getting the dirty, greasy mess on any of my clothes.

I walked into the bathroom, thoroughly scrubbed all the grease and dirt off my hands and arm, walked into my meeting, sat down, started taking notes, and looked down to see...

bright yellow smudge marks all over the front of my clean white shirt. What the heck??

8 comments:

LJ said...

You crack me up, and I can completely relate. No matter what I am wearing, if there is pasta in the same room it will end up on me, even if I'm not wearing it!

The Wades said...

that is hilarious, molly. good luck with that one! i would offer great tips on how to get all of that out, but alas, i am not quite domesticized yet! :)

Ashley said...

There's always the bus.

Tyler said...

Ditch the bike. It seems to be the common thread here. Oh, and I think you're dismounting incorrectly. Your leg should swing back over the rear tire when getting on or off the bike, not over the bar that runs between the seat post and handle bars. With practice, I'm sure you'll get it.

Mer said...

me + oil paint = potential disaster at any second...don't worry, you're not the only one who can't keep clothes clean!

Molly said...

When you say it like that, Tyler, it sounds so logical! My road bike was stolen a year ago, and I think the fact that I've been riding Amy's mountain bike (with a slanting "girl" top bar) got me used to just bringing my leg across and stepping down. I can't believe I forgot about swinging my leg to the back. I feel like an idiot. But in an I'm-so-glad-you-pointed-that-out way. :)

veeda said...

You will be a funny pregnant woman (when you have a baby to throw you off balance, it gets even more messy).

Veronica said...

I get dirty too but not because of grease from a bike. No, my dirty is from another love in my life....Savannah! She spits up like crazy and now that she is eating solids it stains. That is why I love spray n' wash! Maybe I will ship you spray and wash for your birthday. NO! You need Shout wipes. While I am at it I should pick some up for me too.