I laughed when I read Ashley's "I buy retail" post, because I fall into the category of people who like to find neat pieces of furniture and refinish them. Only I'm good at the finding part, but not the refinishing part. So it was totally appropriate that I had this blog on my mind. As you all know, Christian and I are moving into a 3-bedroom apartment so that his brother and sister (Richard and Dianna) can move in with us. I’ve gone into panic mode over all the projects I want to get done before we move. Considering we’re moving in two weeks, I know these won’t be done.
1) Finish my dresser. We got this dresser for free in Tahoe (Thanks, random stranger!). The plan is to put our TV on it, convert the top drawer into a compartment for the receiver and DVD player, and keep movies, etc., in the bottom two drawers. It was too tall so I sawed off the first level, replaced the top, and now it’s perfect. All I need to do now is paint it, put a hinge on the front drawer, and replace the pulls. I’m buying the hinges and pulls today.
2) Build a frame for my mirror. I got a huge mirror (4 ½ feet by 5 ¾ feet) for free on craigslist. I still need to take my brother out to dessert for picking it up for me (Thanks, Tyler!). Unfortunately, I haven’t had a chance to make a frame for it. But I have a very simple frame plan in my mind. Nothing intricate. Just have to build it…
3) Re-sew the cushions on my couch and chair. I purchased these wonderful items from a guy in San Francisco (Thanks, guy in SF!). They definitely aren’t professionally done, but they’re really fun if you don’t look too close. My mom and I replaced the cushions, but I still need to finish re-sewing the cushion covers.
4) Make a slip-cover for my couch. This was the couch in our parlor when I was growing up (Thanks, Mom and Dad!). It needs some help. Does anyone know where to find wide-wale brown corduroy? Of course I pick the hardest material to find. And did you know that fabric comes in every shade of brown EXCEPT the shade I want? Right now the couch has a slipcover I made in 3 hours out of a queen sheet set. Not bad, huh?
5) Re-paint our bedroom dressers. Christian and I painted some dressers (Thanks, Mom and Dad!), but the paint ended up being tacky when it dried. And 3 years later the drawers still stick shut. So I need to do a quick touch-up job and paint a coat of clear polyurethane varnish something-or-other to keep them from sticking.
Maybe I should start buying retail...
3 years ago