Saturday, July 14, 2007

time is not on my side

I laughed when I read Ashley's "I buy retail" post, because I fall into the category of people who like to find neat pieces of furniture and refinish them. Only I'm good at the finding part, but not the refinishing part. So it was totally appropriate that I had this blog on my mind. As you all know, Christian and I are moving into a 3-bedroom apartment so that his brother and sister (Richard and Dianna) can move in with us. I’ve gone into panic mode over all the projects I want to get done before we move. Considering we’re moving in two weeks, I know these won’t be done.

1) Finish my dresser. We got this dresser for free in Tahoe (Thanks, random stranger!). The plan is to put our TV on it, convert the top drawer into a compartment for the receiver and DVD player, and keep movies, etc., in the bottom two drawers. It was too tall so I sawed off the first level, replaced the top, and now it’s perfect. All I need to do now is paint it, put a hinge on the front drawer, and replace the pulls. I’m buying the hinges and pulls today.
Molly on the balcony sanding her dresser

2) Build a frame for my mirror. I got a huge mirror (4 ½ feet by 5 ¾ feet) for free on craigslist. I still need to take my brother out to dessert for picking it up for me (Thanks, Tyler!). Unfortunately, I haven’t had a chance to make a frame for it. But I have a very simple frame plan in my mind. Nothing intricate. Just have to build it…

3) Re-sew the cushions on my couch and chair. I purchased these wonderful items from a guy in San Francisco (Thanks, guy in SF!). They definitely aren’t professionally done, but they’re really fun if you don’t look too close. My mom and I replaced the cushions, but I still need to finish re-sewing the cushion covers.



4) Make a slip-cover for my couch. This was the couch in our parlor when I was growing up (Thanks, Mom and Dad!). It needs some help. Does anyone know where to find wide-wale brown corduroy? Of course I pick the hardest material to find. And did you know that fabric comes in every shade of brown EXCEPT the shade I want? Right now the couch has a slipcover I made in 3 hours out of a queen sheet set. Not bad, huh?
Brown couch in the living room

5) Re-paint our bedroom dressers. Christian and I painted some dressers (Thanks, Mom and Dad!), but the paint ended up being tacky when it dried. And 3 years later the drawers still stick shut. So I need to do a quick touch-up job and paint a coat of clear polyurethane varnish something-or-other to keep them from sticking.


Maybe I should start buying retail...

6 comments:

Julie and Lenny said...

You are amazing! I've always thought you could whip up anything given the right materials! You sawed off the dresser? Seriously, I don't have the guts to take on the things you do! :)

Mer said...

I LOVE the couch and armchair!

ryan, maren and leah said...

you need to teach me how to do some of this stuff! i really want a huge mirror, so i'll have to watch you do the frame...

The Wades said...

so that's what you were doing sunday during my 4 hour long nap! please remember that i will still be your next door neighbor and that i can still hop over the fence to help with all of your furniture adventures. it's been great having you close.

Lenessa said...

Hey SWEET couches!

Ashley said...

That makes me tired.